Saturday 14 April 2012

It's Friday, Friday...

See what I did there?

It was Friday 13th!
While some people are afraid to go outside on that day I consider Friday 13th my lucky day. I find superstitions unbelievably interesting so logically I love Friday 13th. Also, my mum was born ona a Friday 13th. 
For a long time I never really understood why on earth people would consider a random day to be dangerous or unlucky so I did a little research. It seems that people believe that the number 13 is unlucky because it is irregular and destroys the completeness of the number 12 which is considered to be a harmonic and perfect number. Jesus had 12 Apostles, there are 12 months in a year, a clock has 12 numbers.... Do I need to go on? Also, the number 13 is a prime number.
Friday is cosidered unlucky for various reasons as well, the most important one for western culture being the fact that Jesus died on a Friday 13th. Naturally, back in time people would naturally think that a day that has two unlucky things combined- the Friday and the number 13- could only bring evil. 

How about you, are you superstitious? Did you have any accidents on a Friday 13th? My day was fabulous, the sun was eve shining.

Have a great day, 
The Countess

1 comment:

  1. I didn't even notice it was the 13th... I did get in a bad mood at some point but I don't think that had anything to do with the date ;) I always find it funny if people are superstitious. I think the problem is that our thoughts and beliefs have so much power over us. That's great, when we can reap the benefit from good placebo effects but it is really bad if a placebo does us harm.

    ReplyDelete