Monday 13 August 2012

Judging a book by its cover

Hey, everyone, long time no post! I have just been to busy as I am out of uni until Octobre and I want to spend my free time with as many activities as possible. I have just come back from a festival called Taubertal and I am tired as fuck so I hope you will excuse this short post.

While I was at the festival some thinbgs I ordered from amazon arrived, including a book. So I thought I share with you the latest books I bought.



The first one is Rivers Of London by Ben Aaronovitch. I had already seen this one in a book store and loved the cover! It's a map of parts of London and it has those cute little skulls with hats at the upper part. On that particular day I had already bought a New Avengers comics so this baby had to stay in the store a little while longer. Finally, about two weeks ago, I found a gift coupon of my favourite book store in my closet ( should tidy up more often...) and instantly bought Rivers Of London. I haven't started reading it yet but it is supposed to be about a police constable who can see ghosts and who has to learn magic for a special task force that deals with supernatural cases. I am really excited to read this!!!!






The next book came with the amazon order and it is How To Be A Woman by Caitlin Moran. Again, look at the cover! The writing is silver and this and the whole cover has the Sltherin colours all over it. Amazing!!!
I haven't read it yet but as the title probably tells you it's about feminism, about being a woman in our society today and all the reviews I read so far suggest that it is really well written and extremly funny. I think I will read this during the next couple of days and Rivers Of London when I go on holidays.




The last one is finally one that i have already read. It is The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley and it is the second novel about the little hobby chemist and detective Flavia de Luce. The books play in England in the 1950s and deal with strange murder cases that happen around the little town where 11 year old Flavia lives. I enjoyed the first to books of the series alot and I definately plan to buy the next two ones, too!

Three things that make Flavia a totally awesome badass:

1. Her favourite things about chemistry are poisons. She reads everything about murder caes that involve some sort of poison and could probably kill the whole world without getting caught. She rather focuses on putting stuff in her sisters lipstick to cause allergic reactions, though. She has her own chemistry lab in the big old house where she lives with her father and her two older sisters and often "borrows" things from various family members in order to experiment with them. Such things include her sister's pearl necklace and her father's shaving knife.

2. She looks like friggin' Wednesday Addams!!!

3. Her personalitly is simply great: Even though she is only 11 years old and has to deal with the fact that her mother died when she was only a baby, Flavia has a really positive view on life. She isn't shocked easily at all, she is curious up to being annoying, she knows how to talk people into giving her information without being rude and she does everything to protect the people she cares about. Also, she does seem to have feministic tendencies.

Which books have you enjoyed in the past weeks? do you know any of the ones I mentioned?

Have a great day, 
The Countess

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, books~ I could poke them all a bit if I happen to see them somewhere.

    And now I totally want to read something! I'm in a middle of a marathon through old magazines (about history, all kinds of weird articles, mhehe), so no books for me until I'm done xD.

    ReplyDelete